Google Drive Odoo Integrationby faOtools https://faotools.com/apps/16.0/google-drive-odoo-integration-741
|License||See License tab|
|Also available in version||v 14.0 v 11.0 v 16.0 v 15.0 v 13.0 v 12.0|
|License||See License tab|
|Also available in version||v 14.0 v 11.0 v 16.0 v 15.0 v 13.0 v 12.0|
- Prepare and keep updated folders' structure in Google Drive
- Upload new attachments to a correct folder
Odoo creates a convenient directory structure in Google Drive: Odoo / Document type name / Document name / Files, where:
- Odoo is a central directory for Odoo Sync in your Drive.
- Document type is a synced Odoo model, for example, 'Sale orders', 'Opportunities', 'Customers'
- You select document types by yourself. It might be any document type
- Moreover, you might have a few folders for a single document type. Use Odoo domains to have not global 'Partners, but 'Customers' and 'Suppliers', not just 'Sale orders' but 'Commercial offers', 'To deliver', and 'Done orders'
- With each sync Odoo would try to update document types' folders. Add a new document type at any moment. It will appear in Google Drive with a next sync
- You are welcome to introduce or change document types folder names at any moment in Odoo. Take into account: renaming in Google Drive will be recovered to Odoo names
- If you remove a model from integration, it will not be deleted from Google Drive to keep already synced files safe. However, new documents of this type would not be synced
- In case you removed a directory in Google Drive, but it is still configured in Odoo, with a next sync a folder structure is going to be recovered (not files, surely).
- Document is an exact object to sync. For instance, 'Agrolait' or 'SO019'
- Documents are synced in case they relate to a synced document type and satisfy its filters. For example, you are not obliged to sync all partners, you may integrate only 'Customers' and 'Vendors' or only 'Companies', not 'Contacts'
- Odoo would generate a folder in Google Drive for each suitable document even for documents without attachments. It is needed for a backward sync to easily add new files
- Google Drive folder name equals a real document name. It relies upon Odoo name_get method. Thus, Odoo 'Michael Fletcher' (a contact of 'Agrolait') would be Google Drive 'Agrolait, Michael Fletcher'
- If an exact document changes its document type (e.g. a quotation is now confirmed), Odoo will automatically relocate its related folder to a proper parent directory (in the example: from 'Commercial offers' to 'To deliver')
- In case a document relates to a few types (for instance, you have 'Vendors' and 'Customers', while Agrolait is both), this document folder would be put into the most prioritized document type. A document type priority is higher as closer to the top in Odoo interfaces it is
- If an Odoo document is removed, the next sync will remove a corresponding Google Drive directory
- In case you remove a directory in Google Drive, but it still exists in Odoo, Google Drive folder structure would be recovered (while files would be unlinked in both Odoo and Google Drive)
- Folders renaming in Google Drive will be replaced with Odoo names, Odoo document names are more important
- Files are real files taken from Odoo attachments
The resulted path would be, for example, 'Odoo / Quotations / SO019 / commercial offer.png'.
The only exclusion of the rule are stand alone attachments which do not relate to any Odoo documents (their document type is 'ir.attachment'). Such attachments' path is 'Odoo / Stand Alone Attachments / image.png'.
The very first sync might take quite a long, since a lot of folders should be created. Afterwards, it would be much faster. However, it is not recommended to make sync too frequent: once an hour seems quite good for large files.Files
With each direct sync, Odoo tries to find not yet synced attachments. If such attachments suit any document type to sync, a file will be uploaded to Google Drive to a proper folder. In Odoo such attachments will become of 'url' type. It means that a file is not any more kept in Odoo server space, but now it is in Google Drive. Until sync is done, Odoo attachment remains binary and stores an actual file. Such approach helps Odoo to work faster.
Clicking on such attachment leads you to a file previewer / editor in Google Drive. Depending on your Google Drive configurations it might be Google Documents, Google Spreadsheets, PDF previewer, etc. Anyway changes to file contents in Google Drive are available in Odoo at the same moment.
If you unlinked an attachment from Odoo, it would be deleted in Google Drive as well.
Take into account that file names should be managed in Google Drive: each backward sync would recover Google Drive names, Odoo is here less important.
- If a new file is added to a proper document folder (e.g. to 'Odoo / Customers / Agrolait'), the same attachment will be added to Odoo document (in the example â to 'Agrolait')
- In document folders you can put not only files but also child folders. In that case a link for this folder (not its content) is kept in attachments
- In case you rename a file in Google Drive, it will be renamed in Odoo as well
- Files' removal from Google Drive leads to related Odoo attachments' removal
- If you move a file to another document folder, in Odoo a related attachment would be re-attached to this new document. Take into account: if you move a file for a not document folder, in Odoo attachment will be deleted as it has been removed from Google Drive
- If you deleted a document type or a document folder, their child files are deleted as well. Thus, Odoo would remove related attachments. The folders, however, will be recovered with a next direct sync. Folders' move to another directory is also considered as a removal. Avoid such situations by following the simple rule: folders are managed mostly by Odoo, files â mostly by Google Drive.
Backward Google Drive sync might take quite much time, since each folder should be checked (the more folders, the more time the backward sync requires). It is recommended to make frequency oftener than once an hour or two hours.
- Take into account that files or folders deleted in Google Drive are really deleted only when you clean trash. Otherwise, such files still exist and would be reflected in Odoo
- Try to avoid the following symbols in folders' and files' names: *, ?, ", ', :, <, >, |, +, %, !, @, \, /,. Direct sync will replace such symbols with '-'. It is done to avoid conflicts with file systems.
Login and Google Drive Credentials
- Go to the Google Developer Console via the url https://console.developers.google.com
- Select or create a project
- Find the section 'Dashboard' and press 'ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES'
- Find Google Drive API and push the button to enable its API
- Go to 'Credentials' and press the button 'Configure Consent Screen'. As the User Type select 'External' and push 'Create'
- Add app information
- As an app name select any suitable
- As a user support email and developer contact information select your email address
- Press 'Save and Continue'
- On the 'Scopes' page just press 'Save and Continue'
- As Test Users add your GMail email address, then press 'Save and Continue'
- Then, go to Credentials and push the button 'Create Credentials'
- 'Web application' as the application type
- As the authorized redirect URI add the link in a format [YOURODOOSITENAME]/google_drive_token (e.g. https://odootools.com/google_drive_token).
- Save the app and copy 'Client ID' and 'Client Secret'
- Go to the Odoo Google Drive Settings
- Copy 'Client ID' to the 'App Client ID'
- Copy 'Client Secret' into the field 'App Secret Key'
- Insert previously generated redirect url
- If you use team drives, check the related box. Make sure you really use team drives. In you Google Drive you should find the item 'Team Drives' in the left sidebar. This feature is available only for business and enterprise tariffs
- If the option 'Team Drive' is enabled, introduce its name. It should be absolutely the same as you see it in your Google Drive. Make sure that your user has full rights for this team drive
- Press 'Save'
- Press 'Login and Confirm'. Odoo redirects you to Google login page. Check in, agree with all conditions, and grant permissions asked
- After login, Google redirects you back to Odoo. Google Drive - Odoo synchronization is ready to be done.
- Turn on debug mode
- Go to technical settings > Automation > Scheduled jobs
- Find the jobs 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' and 'Update attachments from cloud'
The app itself does not regulate access rights on the Google Drive side. It should be done manually there. Thus, Odoo would create target folders in Google Drive, which by default are not shared, while you can change permissions to any of the folders. For example, to grant full rights for the 'Odoo' directory or to a specific 'Odoo > Sale Orders' or 'Odoo > Sale Orders > SO-001'.
The app works on a single user endpoint principle. So, all sync operations are done under the same Google Drive user (according to the Google API app you have configured).
To delete a file completely, you need to clean the bin in Google Drive as well.
Also, keep in mind that a file might still be in Odoo, because the backward synchronization doesn't proceed the attachment yet. As this is a scheduled process, some time is required.
The module uses only free API, so you will not be charged by Google.
Yes, you can. To this end:
Turn on debug mode
Go to technical settings > Automation > Scheduled jobs
Find the jobs 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' and 'Update attachments from cloud'.
Take into account that you should not make them too frequent. It is preferable this job is finished until a new one is started. Thus, the configuration should depend on how many items you to sync you have. Usually, the frequency is set up between 15 minutes to 4 hours.
Make also sure that you have set up enough time limits in your Odoo configuration file. Thus, LIMIT_TIME_CPU and LIMIT_TIME_REAL parameters should be equal or bigger than planned cron job time. Starting from the version 13 consider also the parameter LIMIT_TIME_REAL_CRON.
An import notice for Odoo.sh clients: the maximum time for cron job might be set up as 15 minutes only.
The app assumes that the binary content of attachments is kept in Cloud Client instead of the Odoo server. So, such attachments in Odoo become of the URL type, and you may any time access them either from the attachments box or from the Cloud Client.
After the setup, no manual actions are required, as the synchronization is fully automatic. Just decide which Odoo document types should be synced and set up a related model to sync for each of those (Customers, Sale or Purchase Orders, Tasks, Projects, etc.).
No, this feature is available only from version 15. Prior to that version, the module works with the pre-defined structure of folders:
Odoo - a core folder for sync
Models - folders for each Odoo document type. For example, 'Projects', 'Partners'. Distinguished by domain there might be more specific folders: e.g., 'Customer 1 Projects', 'Projects of the Customer 2', 'Internal Projects', etc.
Objects - folders for each document, e.g. 'Project 1' or 'Customer 1'
Files and folders related to this Odoo document to be synced.
As a result you may have for instance:
Odoo / Projects / Project 1 / files and folders related to the project 1
Odoo / Customer 1 Projects / Project 1; Odoo / Customer 2 Projects / Project 3, ...
Odoo / Customers / Customer 1 / files and folders related to the customer 1
This structure is always flat, meaning that there are only those levels of hierarchy. Thus, it is correct that various document types can't be done within the same structure. Within the folder 'Customer 1' we can't keep the files related both to sale orders, invoices, and projects. Each of those document type has an own (or a few own) folders. Otherwise, we will not have a chance to make backward synchronization, since there would be no criteria to rely upon.
Yes, you can. To that goal, prepare a rule for each, and then those apply filters: for example by type of a project.
Try to make filters self-exclusive in order a document can be definitely assigned. For instance, 'customer but not supplier', 'supplier but not customer'. Otherwise, a specific document folder would jump from one model to another.
No, the tool relies upon a single user end point. It means that all sync processes are done under a single cloud admin (app). Access rights for created folders / files are not automatized. You should administrate those rights in your cloud storage solution.
No. We have strong reasons to avoid real time sync:
Performance issues. In case a sync is real time, each file upload will result in the loading screen.
Conflict issues. If 2 users simultaneously change an item, it might lead to unresolved situations. In case of regular jobs we can fix it afterwards, while in case of real time we would need to save it as some queue, and it will be even more misleading for users.
Functionality issues. In particular, renaming and restructuring of items. In the backward sync the tool strictly relies upon directories' logic, and during each sync 100% of items are checked. In case it is done after each update, it will be thousands of requests per second. If not: changes would be lost.
No, the tool is only a technical core. You also need the connector for your cloud client.
Yes, although in case of many folders / attachments to sync, the process might be slow. Simultaneously, our clients reported to us the environments with >10k partners and ~5k product variants to be synced, and the processes were acceptable.
A few points to emphasize:
The sync is constructed in such a way that anyway any item will be synced and will not be lost, although it might be not fast. It is guaranteed by first-in-first-out queues and by each job commits.
The number of objects might be limited logically. The models' configuration let you restrict sync of obsolete items (e.g there is no sense to sync archived partners or orders which are done 2 years ago).
No, this feature becomes available only from version 15.
Yes, depending on your cloud client configuration.
According to the current Odoo Apps Store policies:
- every module bought for the version 12.0 and prior gives you an access to the all versions up to 12.0.
- starting from the version 13.0, every version of the module should be purchased separately.
- disregarding the version, purchasing a tool grants you a right for all updates and bug fixes within a major version.
Take into account that faOtools team does not control those policies. By all questions please contact the Odoo Apps Store representatives directly.
The easiest approach is to use the Odoo store built-in workflow:
1. Open the module's page and click the button Deploy on odoo.sh
2. After that, you will be redirected to the GitHub page. Login to your account and click 'Create a new repo' or use the existing one. Please, make sure, that your repository is private. It is not permitted to publish the apps under the OPL-1 license. If necessary, create a new repo for your Odoo.sh project
3. Then, go to odoo.sh and click on the deploy button, submit the decision in the pop-up window and click 'Continue'. The action will trigger the installation process.
These steps would install the app for your project production branch. If you wanted to deploy the apps for other branches or update the module, you should undertake the following actions:
1. Upload the source code for the app from the Odoo store
2. Commit the module to a required GitHub repository. Make sure that none of the app folders/files are ignored (included in the .gitignore of your repo). Repositories are automatically created by odoo.sh, which might add by default some crucial items there (e.g. /lib). You should upload all module directories, subdirectories, and files without exceptions
3. Deploy a target branch of the odoo.sh project or wait until it is automatically built if your settings assume that.
Unzip the source code of the purchased tools in one of your Odoo add-ons' directory
Re-start the Odoo server
Turn on the developer mode (technical settings)
Update the apps' list (the apps' menu)
Find the app and push the button 'Install'
Follow the guidelines on the app's page if those exist.
Yes, sure. Take into account that Odoo automatically adds all dependencies to a cart. You should exclude previously purchased tools.
A red/orange warning itself does not influence features of the app. Regretfully, sometimes our modules do not pass standard automatic tests, since the latter assumes behavior which is in conflict with our apps goals. For example, we change price calculation, while standard Odoo module tests compare final price to standard algorithm.
So, first of all, please check deployed database features. Does everything work correctly?
If you still assume that warning influences real features, please contact us and forward full installation logs and the full lists of deployed modules (including core and third party ones).
Regretfully, we do not have a technical possibility to provide individual prices.
No, third party apps can not be used on Odoo Online.
Yes, all modules marked in dependencies are absolutely required for a correct work of our tool. Take into account that price marked on the app page already includes all necessary dependencies.
The price for our modules is set up in euros. The Odoo store converts prices in others currencies according to its internal exchange rate. Thus, the price in US Dollars may change, when exchange rate changes.
Fast access to Google Drive files and folders
Synced files are simply found in Google Drive. Add unlimited number of files or folders here
Choose document types to be synced
Document type might have a few folders based on filters
All document types are in the root directory 'Odoo'
Document types' folders
All document of this type has an own folder
Logged synchronisation activities
In case you have faced any bugs or inconsistent behavior, do not hesitate to contact us. We guarantee to provide fixes within 60 days after the purchase, while even after this period we are strongly interested to improve our tools.
To send us a bug report: press the "Website" link on the top of this page and push the button "Bug Report" (the tab Support). Alternatively, copy the link https://faotools.com/s/maha3c
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
Please include in your request as many details as possible: screenshots, Odoo server logs, a full description of how to reproduce your problem, and so on. Usually, it takes a few business days to prepare a working plan for an issue (if a bug is confirmed) or provide you with guidelines on what should be done (otherwise).
Public features requests and module ideas (free development)
We are strongly motivated to improve our tools and would be grateful for any sort of feedback. In case your requirements are of public use and might be efficiently implemented, the team would include those in our to-do list.
Such a to-do list is processed on a regular basis and does not assume extra fees. Although we cannot promise deadlines and final design, it might be a good way to get desired features without investments and risks.
To share ideas: press the "Website" link on the top of this page and push the button "Share Features Ideas" (the tab Support). Alternatively, copy the link https://faotools.com/s/4nuwzg
No phone number or credit card is required to contact us: only a short email sign up which does not take more than 30 seconds.
Questions and misc issues
Feel free to contact us with any other concerns, doubts, or questions: press the "Website" link on the top of this page and push the button "Raise Question" (the tab Support). Alternatively, copy the link https://faotools.com/s/xs2wyp
About the team
faOtools (faotools.com, former odootools.com) is the team of developers and business analysts to help you extend Odoo's potential. We have been communicating with end users to whom the software became the main business tool since 2012. As a result, we are proud of dozens of successful Odoo apps developed. We are open for new ideas and challenges to create the best Odoo apps for business needs all over the world.
You may like the tools
The tool to build a deep and structured knowledge base for internal and external use. Knowledge System. KMS. Wiki-like revisions.298
The tool for time-based service management from booking appointments to sales and reviews
The tool to set up KPI targets and control their fulfillment by periods. KPI dashboard. Dashboard designer. KPI charts198
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OneDrive files in both ways394
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with OwnCloud / NextCloud files in both ways394
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with DropBox files in both ways394
Odoo Proprietary License v1.0 This software and associated files (the "Software") may only be used (executed, modified, executed after modifications) if you have purchased a valid license from the authors, typically via Odoo Apps, or if you have received a written agreement from the authors of the Software (see the COPYRIGHT file). You may develop Odoo modules that use the Software as a library (typically by depending on it, importing it and using its resources), but without copying any source code or material from the Software. You may distribute those modules under the license of your choice, provided that this license is compatible with the terms of the Odoo Proprietary License (For example: LGPL, MIT, or proprietary licenses similar to this one). It is forbidden to publish, distribute, sublicense, or sell copies of the Software or modified copies of the Software. The above copyright notice and this permission notice must be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Please log in to comment on this module
- The author can leave a single reply to each comment.
- This section is meant to ask simple questions or leave a rating. Every report of a problem experienced while using the module should be addressed to the author directly (refer to the following point).
- If you want to start a discussion with the author or have a question related to your purchase, please use the support page.
odoo 8 compatibility
You could use this module in an 8 version of odoo